Wednesday, December 12, 2012

265. Zait wa Zaatar: Zaatar Toasties


Zeit wa zaatar (زيت و زعتر) is a tale as old as time. It literally translates to oil and zaatar. I always use olive oil, but you can use what you want.
It really is too simple, but merits a mention nevertheless.
My mother (الله يرحمها) used to feed it to us as children, always saying how it sharpens the mind and memory.
I didn't mind zaatar as a child. Now as an adult, I actually crave it.

Zeit wa zaatar is to me what peanut butter is to the average American: a childhood staple and an adulthood indulgence.
It is very easy to find a pre-packaged zaatar mix in any Arab or Turk grocer's.
I mix equal amounts (by volume) of zaatar and olive oil to a paste, and smear it on any type of bread I fancy.
You can increase the oil to make it more runny, and dip some crusty bread bits in it.



Method:

In a small bowl, mix to a paste equal amounts by volume of zaatar and olive oil.
(For example: two tablespoons zaatar and two tablespoons oil.)
Spread on any form of bread (I like crispy baguette slices) and enjoy with some steamy cardamom-infused tea.



 صحة و عافية

No comments: