Sunday, February 15, 2015

761. Puff Pastry Pizzas


These pizza-tarts are my kind of food. Although I get the occasional carnivorous callings, I would be happy to live a meat-free life if all vegetarian food was this good, and if someone made this kind of food for me everyday! You don't need to make your own puff pastry for this.
Nor you you need to stick to these suggested toppings. Go crazy with your own topping combos. Little can go wrong if you've got cheese both under and over the toppings. And sure you can do this with bread or pizza dough, but why pass up the buttery, crispy, flakey, puff pastry, along with the convenience of pulling it out of the freezer at will?


Ingredients:

225g puffed pastry (half batch)
1 cup mozzarella, grated
1 Tbsp butter
250g mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 cloves garlic, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tomatoes or 1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup goat or feta cheese
12 whole basil leaves (chiffonade)


Method:

Roll the pastry into a large square, then cut down the middle to make two rectangles.
Place both halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a baking mat.
Preheat oven to 425F.
In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute mushrooms and garlic in the butter until mushrooms are cooked down and liquid is mostly gone. Remove from heat and set aside.
On each half of the pastry, sprinkle on half the cheese so that it covers all but a 1/2 inch border all around the pastry.
On one half, sprinkle on the cooked mushrooms. On the other half, sprinkle on the halved cherry tomatoes or thinly sliced regular tomatoes. Press both mushrooms and tomatoes lightly into the cheese.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle the goat or feta cheese crumbles on both halves.
Allow the pizzas to sit for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle on basil, slice into pieces, and serve!


 صحة و عافية

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Marhaba Marym! I was wondering if you knew how to make sirikay? A breakfast cheese with cheese garlic and something green in it

Maryam said...

Marhaba Emily, I'd never heard of sirrikay before! I tried to look it up but I have no idea what it is. Do tell me more about it?

Unknown said...

I'm from northern Iraq so I'm guessing it's from there. We used to have it with breakfast with bread and tea. It might be feta cheese with garlic for sure and something green in it. The garlic is left in salt water for a couple days before being added to cheese, the cheese mix is put in a jar and covered with grape leaves then I think buried or something until it's ready. I love all your recipes they remind me so much of my family that I miss so I was hoping you might know!

Maryam said...

Thanks so much Emily, that means a lot.
I'll do my best to research this dish; will let you know!